Uncategorized

Laundered, ironed and ready to go…

The first day back at placement as a student therapeutic radiographer.

It is often characterised by the groans  of “I had to get up at 5AM”, “I’ve ironed my uniform three times and my collar still won’t lie flat”, and ” I can’t function without a coffee RIGHT NOW!”.

Today was no different, but thankfully my hospital is closer to home and I even got a lie in until 7:15!

After a day of getting my bearings in a new department, I still got lost on the way out. I am using a machine by a manufacturer I’ve not used before. I know that it is the same type of machine (linear accelerator) as I’ve used before, but everything is different. It’s a bit like flying a one man fighter jet, then being expected to fly a huge passenger plane. The principle is the same, but there are so many other factors to consider. I’m feeling as overwhelmed as Ted Striker. (look him up.)

Even though it’s only day one of five weeks, I can go to bed tonight knowing that I’ve made a difference to the lives of every patient I’ve treated today. That makes every niggling worry feel better. 

There’s no better classroom than the workplace, and I can’t wait to get back out there tomorrow morning.

Felicity