Clubs and societies, International, Uncategorized

Street and Break dance at Portsmouth University!

A blog post from one of our International Student Ambassadors.

maralBy Maral Amini

Do you enjoying dancing? Do you want to find brilliant inspired friends at Portsmouth University? Do you want to compete for street and break dance society? If YES you are in a right place!

Firstly let’s see- what’s street and break dance?

The University of Portsmouth offers a range of different classes for street and break dance from beginner to intermediate. Street dance covers locking, house, popping, whacking. We learn different routines with different style each time. Each routine takes about 3 weeks and after 3, 4 routines we will get ready for performances and competitions. I myself joined this society one year ago and I was a beginner. However I improved a lot. I believe the most interesting fact about this society is the people who make it a friendly environment. We have socials every other 2 weeks. We go out and dance! We also practice and show off our moves in the club! 90 % of all the members are international students and I myself, as an international student really enjoy this friendly society. We have students from china, Malaysia, Poland, Iran, Spain etc. I found very close, good friends of mine from this society. We are like a small family for each other. I participated in 2 competitions since I joined this society . The experience is remarkably enjoyable. You have to train more for the competitions, so you get a chance to be with the crew more often. One of the fascinating facts about the people in the society is they are very supportive. I myself sometimes couldn’t get the moves as fast as the others in the crew but the members were so patient and friendly and they help me to improve massively.

maral xmas meal

The competitions are really good experience as you have a chance to see other dance groups and many professionals. This can inspire you to train harder and harder. We also have some charity activities such as dancing to raise money. This is a fantastic opportunity to express yourself and have a chance to get involved in charity activities such as RAG. This society changed my lifestyle! I experienced new things, meet new people and understood that university is more than studying! You will learn to be more competitive, supportive and also increase your teamwork and leadership.

maral competition

So don’t miss this opportunity to enjoy, get fit, meet new people and have fun at university of Portsmouth!

Join to our Facebook page to get more information:   https://www.facebook.com/groups/uopbreaking/

One thought on “Street and Break dance at Portsmouth University!