Uncategorized

Working at a Portsmouth Open Day

Sorry I haven’t posted in so long! I had a very busy January with a lot of deadlines!! Now that it’s thankfully mostly over, I should be able to post more regularly!

I thought I would write today about my experience yesterday working as a Student Marketing Assistant (those people in purple you see showing applicants around on open days). So yesterday was my first shift working the team, you might have seen me in front of University House directing people in the blistering cold!!  Despite the unforgiving weather conditions, I had great fun meeting loads of people who hopefully will be joining us in September! As Student Marketing Assistants or SMAs, as we are commonly referred as, we help ensure the smooth running of open days by operating walking tours of the campus, coach tours of the city and halls tours throughout the day.

12443897_10204219173038405_280316863_o

Our set up yesterday – What a bike!!

For those of you perhaps interested in working for the University, I would definitely recommend it. It’s a great way of meeting new people, gaining work experience and making a bit of money on the side. I was hired just before the new year for this role but the University is always looking for people to fill vacancies, ranging from positions in the Student Union to the library. Most are posted on the various student Facebook groups which I’m sure many of you are now accustomed to, but many vacancies also are posted on the Purple Door website (check it out if you haven’t already, it’s a great service for us students!) and the University jobs page. Feel free to write in the comments if you have any questions about my role as a Student Marketing Assistant or if you do see me or any purple people on an open day, I’m sure they’d be more than happy to talk to you!

Luka