Uncategorized

Graduation… then what?!

Something that has been nagging my mind for the last two years of my life is what to do after I graduate. There are so many options! Should I do a Master’s? Should I do an internship? Will I have money to live on my own or will I have to move home after I finish my course? Will I be able to find a job related to my degree? They say we are lucky to have so many options in this day and age, however sometimes I feel we have a few too many choices.

I am a person who doesn’t like uncertainty. I like knowing what is going to happen. This can sometimes be a very annoying quality, because the truth is you can’t predict the future. And the amount of times I have been disappointed because things don’t turn out the way I want them to are too many to count (although I have learned to be a little more care free the last few years). So not knowing for a while where I will be next year is really stressing me out.

For me there is also the matter of which country I want to stay in. I am Norwegian and it would probably be easier for me to find a job back home. There are less people, less competition, I could get a higher paying job quickly. But my boyfriend is English, and obviously I wish to stay with him, which I don’t mind because I do enjoy living in England. But will I be able to find the right job here?

When I started my course my ambition was to work for the Norwegian government. I wanted to learn Chinese to go back and work on Norwegian – Chinese relations. I wanted a job where I can travel a lot, to see the world and speak many languages. Now? I’m not so sure. I would still love to have a job working for the government, but I’m not sure I would want to move around as much. I want a house. I want a cat. I want to come home and have dinner with my family. But I still want a job where I feel like I’m doing something important.

Deciding what to do next has not been easy. I knew moving again could be a likely option to consider more opportunities. I’m not saying there aren’t options here, I could do a Master’s in International Relations or Translation. But it’s not really what I want to do as I want to focus more on Chinese Studies or East Asian Studies, not straight IR. And I don’t want to do translation. Beginning of third year I was so sure I wanted to do a Master’s in Chinese Studies. A few weeks later I thought it would be easier if I do Global Political Economy cause then it might be easier to get a job. A few weeks after that I was debating if I should do a Master’s at all.

In the end I ended up applying to four universities, four different postgraduate degrees. Global Political Economy at Sussex, East Asian Development and the Global Economy at Bristol, East Asian Cultures and Society (Language Pathway) at Leeds, and East Asian Relations at Edinburgh. I am pleased to inform I was accepted to all four of them. And I chose to go to Edinburgh.

It feels so good to have an idea of what I am doing for the next year of my life. And I am very excited to explore more of beautiful Edinburgh. 🙂

560166_10200540856944660_446905404_n