Halls, Home, Reflection

Lessons Learnt

I can’t help but feel my blog has been (ever so slightly) neglected this term, and I can only apologise for that! For reasons I’m not going to go into on here, I didn’t feel in a position to write anything that would benefit my readers, due to events that happened over Christmas.

Moving onto a slightly more positive note, I thought I would write about what I have learnt about myself as a person since being at University, especially over the past few months. There are a lot of things I couldn’t do this time two years ago, this time last year, and even things I couldn’t do two months ago.

Living in a house compared to living in halls teaches you a lot: how to pay and manage bills, how to work a boiler, just simple things that give you that little extra boost of independence. Fortunately for me, before I started university I was able to cook an array of meals and do my washing, though I know many who didn’t have the faintest idea of where to start. Even so, my cooking skills have improved, and cooking has become a task I really enjoy. I find also that being responsible for myself at University makes me more aware of how much my Mum does for me and the rest of my family at home and as a result of this I feel I’m more likely to offer help around the house – though Mum may not agree! On a more personal level, I have learnt how to live with people that I’m not used to living with, how to react to different peoples personalities and how to manage my life around other peoples.

In terms of the last few months, I have learnt that where before I may have felt dependent on people for support, I’m actually more independent that I thought. Homesickness has always been something I’ve struggled with whilst I’m at Uni, but I’m actually better at dealing with it that I thought, and I have come to realise that I don’t need anyone to help me get through it. Keeping busy with friends and putting all my effort into my coursework are the best remedies!

With the end of second year approaching a lot faster that I would like and anticipated, I’m struggling to come to terms with the fact that I’m over half way through my degree, its exciting yet incredibly scary – the thought of the amount of work I have to get through before I graduate is enough to start a mild panic attack! However, I know with careful planning and consistent effort, plus my new found motivation will be enough to get me through and to a standard I am happy with.

x