Architecture, Course, Halls, Home, Reflection

New House

After nearly 3 weeks of living in a student house, I can’t decide if it’s what I expected or not. I was so, so excited to be living with my two best friends, and I can’t say that feeling has changed, although one thing that has surprised me is how long it took to settle in and get used to being away from home again. Considering how much I was looking forward to coming back, it took me a good week or so to feel happy here.

We all chose to move in a week before induction week started, so we could get things sorted in our house, buy any extra bits we needed and sort out our bills. However, this also meant we had a lot of time to kill, after going to Gunwharf, going to different parts of town and walking along the seafront, there was an awful lot of time left to sit in front of the TV watching films and eating ice cream.

I’ll be the first to admit that I wanted to go home nearly every day of our first week in our new house, but as soon as I saw some more people from our course and from my flat last year I was 100% happier, and now we’ve started lectures properly and got into more of a routine everything is pretty much perfect. There are still the obvious issues of when I’m going to do a load of washing, and what I’m going to have for dinner, but they’re the same kind of decisions I had to make last year, which is why I would urge anybody thinking of going to Uni or in the process of applying, to apply for halls as soon as they can, as it makes the process of moving away from home so much easier. I’ve found settling into a house this year difficult, I couldn’t even begin to imagine what a first year would feel like moving into a house miles away from home, living with people they’ve never met and having to organise rent, bills, budgeting and all the other extras that comes with a house as opposed to halls.

I’m going home this weekend for the first time this term, as my cousins are coming to stay and I’m going back to see them, but for the first time I don’t feel like I need to go home (although I am looking forward to it!) I’m never going to say no to Mums cooking or a cup of tea in bed!

Despite the fact we’ve only had three official days of our course starting (two for me as I have Mondays off!) our tutors haven’t messed around with setting us work. We’ve got one design project due in less than two weeks, and I’ve got no doubt I’ll get set another tomorrow for my other units. It’s clear already that second year is going to be a lot more intense than first year, but one of the benefits of living with people doing the same course as me is that we’re always motivating each other to do work. We also have the same amount of work, so we’re not considered anti social if we are just sitting doing coursework 24/7.

I think it’s going to take a good month or so to truly settle in and get into a routine. There’s so much to get used to, for one I’m living a good 20/25 minute walk from Uni, so I’m definitely feeling more tired at the moment! It’s different as well in a house as although I lived in a flat with 5 others last year we had a space that was defined as ‘ours’ whereas this year everything is much more communal, which obviously has advantages and disadvantages. So far, second year has treated me well. We had fun going out last week and enjoying some of the Fresher’s events, and now we’re getting stuck into our work and focusing on our projects.

x

2 thoughts on “New House

1. Blake says:

I had never considered how scary and difficult it must be to move into student accommodation or a shared house, which is something I have not had to experience in my University life. It was really intriguing to hear your perspective on it.
    I hope you settle in well! 🙂

2. Caitlin says:

Hi Blake, hope you had a good summer! Do you live at home whilst you’re at uni? It is quite scary but fun at the same time! Especially halls as you meet lots of different people! Good luck for 3rd year 🙂