Architecture, Course, Halls, Home, Reflection

Looking Back: First Year

Thinking back to this time last year, I was finishing off my A levels and awaiting results, working a bit and spending time with family and friends. I had no idea what my first year of University would be like, and to be honest I don’t think I could have predicted it. I had a year of ups and downs, at some points I was so happy and wouldn’t have changed anything, at other times I wanted nothing more than to be at home curled up in my own bed. Realistically I chose to come to Portsmouth for completely the wrong reasons, but now I’m looking back, I wouldn’t change anything.

The best thing about this year is the people I’ve met. Yes, you go to University to get a degree, but it’s a well known saying that the friends you make at Uni are friends for life. One of the things I loved about Halls was that I met people and became great friends with the type of people I wouldn’t have met otherwise, due to having different interests and tastes, and living hundreds of miles apart! Despite all that, by the end of the year flat A.1.1 and A.1.2 of James Watson became like a family to me, probably because we are all completely individual, which meant we all had something special to add to the group. Saying that, I didn’t necessarily like living with them ALL the time, only because I have a slight OCD when it comes to kitchen cleanliness, and it turns out that most boys don’t really enjoy washing up! (or wiping surfaces, or the oven, or even moving their dirty plates from the side)

Aside from the friends I made in Halls, I also made some really great friends on my course (two of who I’m living with next year). I met loads of people from all over the world, which is great because you end up learning about different cultures and religions, and everyone has something different to add to one big idea.

After many ups and downs of this year – mainly doubting my own abilities and choices, seeing my results has made me realise that I CAN do it and I will do well. Not fulfilling my own potential has always been a fear of mine. However, I now know that all the effort and stress and tears that I put into my work has actually paid off. I went through the year not really knowing what kind of level I was working at, which I found incredibly frustrating as I had no idea whether what I was doing was enough. I’m hoping though that this year has built me a platform on which to raise during my second year. I think also that living in a house with two girls on my course will mean we are all there to support one another and make each other do our coursework! (or just distract each other even more)

In hindsight, I did choose Portsmouth for the wrong reasons, and there’s been times in the year where I have missed home, but luckily for me, I only live two hours away – possibly the only sensible reason I did choose Pompey. However, I’m happy it’s where I ended up. I’ve made friends for life and finished my first year with really good results. What’s not to be happy about?

x

2 thoughts on “Looking Back: First Year