Clubs and societies, Course, Free time, Island Experience, Nightlife, The city

Rest and Reflection

After the rush, panic and stress of March, a week at home has been greatly enjoyed. My room is still a mess with draft essays, bits of speeches, bank statements and library books strew about the place. That tends to happen when I’m ultra-focussed on work (or should that be ultra-panicked by work)? I really need to give my room a good clean-out, but I decided that it was okay to leave it a few more days, just to relax a bit. After all, it’s my first week off since Christmas! Studying and socialising tends to sap my energy rather quickly, so this week I’ve been unashamedly lying in bed, watching TV and playing my Gameboy.

I also took a look at my blogs from last year, and I was hit by a sudden sense of maturity. Back then I was but a Fresher! How different it all seems being a Second Year student!

I really feel pleased that I lived up to my commitment this year to give new things a go: I hosted my own radio show on Pure FM, wrote a couple of articles for the student newspaper The Galleon, and I did a fair amount of socialising with my friends from the Japanese Society. I also worked for the University as a Student Mentor in a local school and was involved in another school-based project. And somehow I managed to fit in a lot of studying. I’m very proud of what I’ve achieved.

It made me think of when I was at the pub quite a while ago, chatting with my Geology-studying friend. At the time, he was telling me about his own Second Year experience which seemed so distant to me at the time. And now I find myself having nearly completed my own Second Year (and my friend on his way to a PhD no less). Has the time really gone that quickly?

2 thoughts on “Rest and Reflection

1. Zephyria says:

yes, time flies, and you know that. but seems you’ve done well and you’ve reached your goals. good for you, Blake!

do u also have procrastination? sometimes I leave my work till deadlines come, which is bad and I wanna get rid of it ASAP.

so happy for your wonderful life, stay positive and excelsior is splendid I think.

Take care.

2. Blake says:

Thanks. I am very pleased that I achieved all the things I wanted to this year. It really has been great fun, and I’ve met some great people.

I think everyone procrastinates! I certainly have been doing a lot of it at the moment, when I really should be revising! However, sometimes when the deadline is near it can help us to focus better. I’m not sure if there is a cure for procrastination!