Blake's View, Clubs and societies, Course, Free time, Island Experience, Nightlife, Sport, Travels

Blake’s View: It’s Not What You Know

They say it’s not what you know in life, but who you know.

It might seem strangely ironic coming from a University student, but the greatest thing I’ve learned so far is the truth of this statement!

Reading Richard’s recent post ‘Friends will be Friends’ really got me thinking.

You see, like my fellow blogger, I had never really ‘met’ anyone who was not British before. Sure, I had been on holiday to foreign lands. But all the friends I had ever had were British. It seemed likely to continue that way for ever.

Yet, one of the best things about University for me has been meeting new people, people who in my average life I would never have had reason to meet. By joining societies, learning a new language and participating in extracurricular activities, I now have friends from far-flung corners of my own country, as well as a variety of places in Europe, Africa and Asia.

People will tell you that University is all about studying, gaining ‘life skills’ or just getting the certificate to improve your prospects of employment. Certainly these were the main reasons in my mind when I convinced myself to give a University degree a second chance. In fact, they’re all good things about University.

But if you look a little deeper, you start to realise that University provides a meeting ground for a wide range of individuals, with different backgrounds, beliefs and abilities. If you make the effort to join a society, take up a sport or learn a language, you will find that you encounter an amazing array of new people. People who, under normal circumstances, you may never have met.

In the future, the friends I have made here will allow me to have new experiences, visit new places, and learn new things. I’ve really enjoyed studying the Americas in my course. But the best thing I will take away with me will be the friends I have made, the happy memories they have provided, and some fantastic opportunities for the future.

3 thoughts on “Blake’s View: It’s Not What You Know

1. richard says:

It’s not what you know in life, but who you know. I think I might get that printed on a t-shirt!
    I feel slightly honoured that you referenced my blog on your blog haha
    Thanks Blake!

2. Daniel Hilsden says:

I think meeting new people and learning to manage multiple relationships with individuals of vastly differing backgrounds is one of the bigger selling points of going university; although this is not very apparent when you initially assess your prospects!

It’s great to have multiple opportunities available when you finish university – I think your message should be universally broadcast to all students considering/undertaking university, Blake.

Thoroughly enjoyed reading this – if you get any spare time, I’d like to quiz you on some financial topics that many students deal with over the duration of their stay at uni.

Let me know if you’re up for that!

Keep on blogging!

Dan