Clubs and societies, Course, Free time, The Galleon, Travels

Super busy.

Well, the past months of university, and life in general, have been ridiculously busy. I guess this is what being an actual proper grown up feels like (turning 22 in November has definitely reminded me I’m getting older now)! Third year has been a whirlwind of reading, essays, editing, going to gigs, reviewing, socialising, and applying for jobs, and it’s not showing any signs of slowing down.

My course

Whilst attempting my dissertation work, there’s been work for other units to contend with and it always seems like time is just slipping away and there aren’t enough hours in the day to fit everything in. Thankfully, a few (a lot of) lengthy days in the library paid off and I managed to do all my work in the end. I haven’t been happy with results I’ve been getting so far this year but a good friend of mine reminded me if I’d tried my hardest then I should be proud of whatever I’ve achieved. I know I’ve been working super hard so if I’m heading for a 2.2 then I’m proud of that in itself, especially with the amount of work experience I’ve been doing.

The Galleon

Speaking of work experience, I can’t believe we’re halfway through The Galleon issues for the year. I’ve had a blast so far in my position of Music Editor and I’ve no doubt at the end of the year I’ll be really sad to let it go. It’s not too late to get involved so if you fancy writing for the music section e-mail me at music@galleonnews.com. Otherwise, check out http://www.quarterdeck.galleonnews.com for more info on other sections, meetings, etc.

Career

As soon as you hit third year there’s a lot of pressure on to apply for jobs for after university, in the form of graduate schemes, placements, and internships. Unfortunately, unless you’re interested in engineering, finance, business or IT you’ll struggle to find a role you’d like to apply for in these sorts of jobs. All I can suggest is if you want to do something just make sure you do whatever you can to make yourself stand out from the crowd. I’ve just started applying for highly-competitive work experience but I’m hoping, because of all the writing I’ve done (unpaid!) so far, I’ll get accepted somewhere eventually. Yes, your degree is important but remember to think about what’s going to happen after uni.

Life

I’ve had a brilliant Christmas holidays and I’m very fortunate to have had an amazing group of friends at home for over ten years. When you’re at uni it’s tricky to keep in touch with old friends, especially if, like me, you’ve made some great new ones at uni, but it’s definitely worth the effort. We’ve had some great nights this holiday and it’s like we’ve never been apart.

Otherwise, I’ve just been relaxing and procrastinating A LOT. I know, it’s terrible, but I’ve desperately needed after burning the candle at both ends since September.  I’m going back to Portsmouth to celebrate New Year’s Eve with my friends but then I’m off to Scotland to visit my family, before rushing back to Portsmouth again ready for my final semester at uni.

It’s emotional, but it’s growing up.

2 thoughts on “Super busy.

1. Blake says:

Hi Kathryn

I hope you’re well and that you had a pleasant Christmas.

I’ve emailed a review of a show I went to in December to the email address you listed above. If you could let me know if you’re received this / think it could be published (or not) then I’d be grateful to hear from you.

Many thanks,

Blake

2. Blake says:

Hi Kathryn,

Thanks for taking time out of your busy schedule to get my review in the Galleon. I was so pleased!
    All the best for your final year – maybe try and relax today in the snow!

Blake