Clubs and societies, Free time, Island Experience, Nightlife, The city

Merry Christmas 2012

Congratulations! I’m pleased to report that we survived the apocalypse of 21 December 2012. I was grabbing some last minute Christmas presents in Commercial Road when doomsday failed to occur. A brass band was playing some festive tunes and there was a cheerful atmosphere around the town centre – but I still took a glance at the skies, just in case there were any meteors about to strike. Perhaps I was mistaken in doing this – I was never quite sure what exactly was meant to happen. Earthquakes, volcanic eruptions, tsunamis, aliens – maybe all of them at once? Either way, the sky seemed the best place to look, but there was nothing of interest to be seen.

I guess we should count ourselves fortunate that life has proceeded as normal, though ‘normal’ never seems the right word to use!

It doesn’t seem possible that we have already had a whole week away from Uni. Buying presents, meeting friends, eating out, taking a few fleeting moments to relax. Where has the time gone? Today has been pleasant: eating a roast dinner out at a country pub followed by a muddy stroll in the outdoors, seeing relatives for the annual gift-exchange, wrapping presents (and realising that I’ve missed a few family members off my list!)

Christmas Eve (tomorrow!) will consist of the final preparations in the house, getting those last few gifts, meeting an old school friend, and perhaps sitting down to a Christmas film. And then the big day will be upon us!

I’m really feeling in the Christmas spirit and I’m so excited about all the new things I’ll be doing in the new year.

I can only finish by bidding you a Merry Christmas, and all the best for 2013!