Clubs and societies, Course, Music, Nightlife, Sport, Study, The city

And So It Begins Again

Wednesday and Thursday this week were the induction days for Year 2 students in the School of Languages and Area Studies. The lecturers did not waste any time in getting to the big topic – dissertations! As it turns out, preparation for our 10,000 word final-year piece starts early, and by the end of this academic year I will have submitted my finalised research proposal. Although this will undoubtedly take a lot of time and thinking, at least we have been told well in advance – so I’d better make sure I start researching and write a great dissertation!

There wasn’t time to get too caught-up in such thoughts just at the minute, as I made sure to attend the Freshers Fayre in Ravelin Park on both days. What everyone knows about Freshers is the is the free pizza. I’m not entirely sure of free-food etiquette, so I didn’t see any harm in taking (several) second-helpings! There was some great music blasting out of the loudspeakers and tents were packed with revellers and an astonishing array of clubs and societies. I really could not believe that the University has so many different activities to take part in. The weather was great on both days, and being surrounded again by so many other students in the festival-like atmosphere, I felt right at home.

I’m really pleased to be back. I know its going to be a great year. My work this year could be crucial in determining the grade of my degree, so I’m looking forward to getting stuck in to my studies – lessons start on Monday!

Check out the University of Portsmouth Student’s Union (UPSU) for the variety of Sports on offer and Societies to join. Click here for the University’s sports clubs and here for some fantastic societies, using the links on the left to search different categories.