Free time, Travels

Trip to Romania

This post is dedicated to the little trip to Romania I took towards the end of August. The reason I think it’s relevant to this blog is that I was actually visiting a friend that I have met at University!

Because my summer plans did not work out, my friend Maria offered to have me over for a bit at her home in Bucharest, Romania. I was very excited about going because I have never been to Romania, and I really like visiting new places.

So on the morning of 27th of August I set off for Bucharest, and after a 3-hour flight I was met by my friend and a heat wave… which then turned out to be normal weather conditions for this country. My friend put a lot of effort into showing me everything I needed to see during my time there. The first half of the trip we spent in Bucharest, where not only did I see beautiful places, but also learnt a lot about the country’s history.

One place I visited was the People’s Palace, which was originally being build for the Romanian dictator for the purpose of him living there, but he was caught and executed a year before the building works ended. Now it is mainly used for conferences and political meetings, as well as little art gallery. The Palace is very impressive! It’s huge and from what they say, the underground of the Palace is much bigger that what you can see above the ground! (For a great photo of the Palace I suggest you check out the Timeline cover photo of Bon Jovi’s facebook page 😉 ) From the top of the Palace you could see most of the amazing city of Bucharest, including Romanian equivalent of the Champs-Élysées, which looks a lot like the French one.

For the second half of my stay, we went up to a town called Sibiu in Transylvania. Although it was a 6-hour train ride one way, it was really worth it! Starting with the lovely views on the way there (we went through the mountains), ending on a beautiful historic city, which hosted a Gypsy Festival the weekend we were there. Can I just say, the gypsy market was absolutely great!

While going to Romania was exciting enough, the highligh of my trip was definitely seeing Red Hot Chili Peppers live at the National Arena in Bucharest! Do I even have to say the guys were amazing?  The greatest show I’ve ever seen! Simply unforgettable! 🙂

One thing that’s worth noting is that Romanians are very friendly people, and I was pleasantly surprised when I met some of Maria’s friends. Some of them actually study in London, so I’m hoping to see them again sometime.

I love the fact I got this opportunity to go and see another country; another culture, that in many ways is similar to what I know, but is also very different. And it’s all thanks to being at University and meeting new people from around the world.

3 thoughts on “Trip to Romania

1. Blake says:

Sounds like it was a great trip! University is definitely the place to make international friends. Your visit just goes to show that meeting new people can give you opportunities to go around the world!

2. Sounds like you had a great time.

It`s been a while since I was at uni up in sunny Bolton, I shared the first year of student digs with a friendly fella from Romania called Stefan, we still keep in touch via Facebook, I have made plans to travel to Oradea, Romania in April next year.

The fact that you noted they are a friendly bunch puts my mind at ease a little.

• I’m sure you’re gonna have a great time over there! Expect a culture shock though, and be careful when you cross the road – they drive like mad! 😉
      But once you get past that, you’re gonna love it!