Accomodation, Free time, Nightlife

In retrospect: University halls

My summer plans did not work out, which left me with a lot of free time to think back about my experiences regarding student accommodation.

Having been at University for two years, I’ve experienced living in both Uni halls and rented student house. In this post I will concentrate on student halls, as this is how most of the students (including myself) start off at University.

I personally think that living at Uni halls is the ultimate student experience. In my first year I lived on the 4th floor of the Trafalgar halls and I was the only girl in a 6-person flat! I must admit, at first I felt a little uneasy about this, but the worry went away as soon as I adjusted to the fact I’ve left home and was no longer under the supervision of my parents.

What I’ve noticed while living at Trafalgar was that there is not a single minute in the 24-hour cycle where all students are asleep! You can never go into a student hall and expect to hear silence. There are always pre-drinks and parties going on, people are coming back from their drunken nights out and then decide to cook or have group showers (yes, things like that really happen…) at 3am… both of which activities set off fire alarms! And yes, that means you have to go and assemble outside, no matter weather or time of day (or night, which was usually the case).

While the above might seem like quite a negative view of halls, I assure you there are positive aspects as well! Living in halls means you can meet a lot of new people outside of your course or society. On one occasion, just as I was getting back in after a night out, I bumped into a random guy walking through the front door (who later turned out to be my next door neighbour), who invited me to a party at his flat. That night I met a bunch of really interesting people. And this was only one night out of the 10 months I spent there – it really is that easy to meet people!

Most of the halls are located at the very centre of the campus, which means you can stay in bed that extra 10 minutes! And who wouldn’t like that?! 😉

I’ve recently found a photo of my halls room I took when I moved in, so I thought I’d share it with you. It was still clean then 😉

Overall, I am very happy I got to experience living in halls. It definitely helps one transform from the kid who lived with their parents for the past 18 years, to a newly discovered party animal and student, to a young adult who is responsible enough to be able to live in peace with other members of the community.

So, future Portsmouth students, if you managed to secure a place at any of the halls – well done! I am sure you will enjoy it! (How many of you are out there? Let me know in comments!) And those of you who didn’t – don’t worry, living in a house can sometimes work out better.

Up next: Living in rented student housing.

3 thoughts on “In retrospect: University halls

1. Hi Maria,

I found this post really interesting; we work a lot with students in shared houses, so it’s good to hear the perspective of someone who has experienced halls first hand. On balance, which did you prefer? I’d be interested to hear any tips you’ve got for surviving either halls or a shared house.

• Hi Louise,
      In my first year I was very happy to be in halls, but now that I’m a little older, I actually prefer to live in a shared house, it feels more homely, natural and settled compared to “temporary” halls.

2. Can one merely state exactly what a decrease to locate someone who actually is aware of what they’re talking about on the internet. A person positively know learn to provide a difficulty in order to light making this important. Additional people have to learn this and perceive this particular aspect from the tale. I cant think you’re no more fashionable since you certainly possess the gift.