Course, Free time, Relationships, The city, The Galleon, Travels

Journalism & life as an SMA.

For me, this summer has been a bit of a washout, in more ways than one. The weather is awful but, more importantly, I’ve been struggling to find a balance between work, my social life, and attempting to get ahead on my reading for my final year at uni.

One thing I’ve been working hard at is getting as much writing experience under my belt as possible. Since I came home I’ve been writing for a few web sites and online magazines and I’ve received a lot of praise for my work, which is always nice. I’m trying to spread out my writing to a wider field as well and, although I primarily focus on music journalism, I have been dabbling in other areas such as lifestyle now too. I’m really looking forward to getting involved with The Galleon again when I get back to uni (I’m still really hoping I get the Music Editor position) and it’ll be cool to meet some new writers as well.

Last week I went back to Portsmouth for a week to work both of the university Preview Days. As I’ve previously mentioned I got a job as a Student Marketing Assistant so I worked my first couple of shifts and, I have to admit, I was pretty nervous about it. On the first day I was supposed to be helping register prospective students but the area I was in was so empty that I ended up outside as “human signage”, helping people find their way around and asking them questions etc.

On the second day I was the walking tours co-ordinator which meant I was in charge of the walking tours (obviously). I even got a radio for the day (cue: me feeling really important). I have to say the job as a whole is really fun and it’s made even better by the lovely people I get to work with, especially my fellow SMAs. The weather was terrible on both days and after 9 hours outside I was soaked through, but it was really cool meeting possible future students of UoP and helping them out.

I’ve been home for a few days now but I’m going back to Portsmouth tomorrow for a week working at Graduation. It should be good fun but I’m also pretty terrified that that’s going to be me in one year! I don’t want to leave university! Eek.

4 thoughts on “Journalism & life as an SMA.

1. Julija says:

Hi Kathryn,
    Can you help me? I will come to Portsmouth in 10 august,but I dont know anybody in this town.
    Julija

• Kathryn says:

Hi Julija,

Well, first of all, how would you like me to help you?

Are you coming to Portsmouth in August to study at the University?

Kathryn

2. Naomi says:

Hi, how did you get the job working at graduation and the SMA? Was it advertised somewhere? I would like to know so I can apply to work at next year’s graduation.

Thanks

• Kathryn says:

Hi

I got the job at graduation through my job as an SMA. The SMA job was advertised on the Purple Door recruitment site, although I found it through the port.ac.uk/lookup page. It’s a fun job but the hours are very unreliable so I wouldn’t rely on it as your initial source of income. I think they are recruiting new SMAs in November.

Hope this helps.