Course, Free time, The Galleon

Productive procrastinating.

I’m not sure how I managed it, but I actually procrastinated in a productive way. I know I wasn’t writing my essay that’s due in next Wednesday but I did apply to be a Student Marketing Assistant next year and finished off the article I was writing for the NUS web site.

Basically, the editor of The Galleon got an e-mail from someone who works for the NUS web site saying they were revamping their web site and needed new writers for it. I applied and they obviously liked the work I’d sent them as I got accepted straight away. My first article was a top 5 book to film adaptations so I decided to pick films that not everyone has heard of, avoiding the obvious choices like Fight Club (or at least that’s what everyone on my Facebook chose). It’s pretty cool that I’ve got something else to put on my CV and, more importantly, it feels pretty good that another person thinks my work’s good enough for publication. Apparently the web site gets a lot of views so it’ll be cool to get my writing out to a wider audience as well.

The Student Marketing Assistant position seems pretty cool and I really hope I get to do it as I think I’d be pretty good at it, so fingers crossed!

Other than that the weeks seem to be flying by at the minute and the list of things I need to do is ever-increasing. I miss first year! How I long for guilt free lazy days (and grades that didn’t really matter too much)! I also just had to ask my Dad for some extra money as our gas and electricity bills arrived and they were not pretty! How I miss Halls!

I’m going to see Noah and The Whale at the Guildhall on Sunday (and I’m reviewing it – it’s not all fun and games you know! I have to earn my freebies.) I’ve seen them a couple of times before and it’s always been awesome so hopefully it’ll be a good show.

Other than that, I can’t believe how quickly Easter’s come around! I’ll be in third year before I know it, eek!

3 thoughts on “Productive procrastinating.

1. Blake says:

Wow, that’s really impressive! Well done on becoming a writer for the NUS! Good luck with the SMA position too.
    I can’t believe you’re seeing Noah and the Whale, by the time I heard they were coming to Portsmouth all the tickets were sold out… I hope you enjoy it!
    It sounds like you are going to have a super impressive CV by the time you finish Uni! 🙂

By the way, I’m a real fan of the Galleon. I’d love to be able to write for the publication next year. is there a big application process? – I’m thinking of applying at the start of the next academic year.

2. Kathryn says:

Hey Blake!

Thanks very much. I hope my CV is super impressive – I’ve worked hard for it I think! I’m just lucky too because I had guestlist passes for Noah and The Whale!

Well if you want to write for The Galleon you’re allowed to straight away. Obviously it helps if you can write already but clearly, as a blogger, you can! All you have to do is sign up at Freshers Fayre and they’ll email you about meetings, then you literally go to them and they give you something to write about. I only write for the music section though so I don’t know much about the News area!

3. Blake says:

Thanks for the info Kathryn!
    I really want to get a head start on some essays during Easter so less strees in May (hopefully), and I would guess the Galleon isn’t published during the summer, but at the beginning of my second year I’m deffo going to get involved!

I really like the new look of the Galleon. It has some great articles (including your music reviews)! A friend on my course has also had some material published in the paper about American politics. I imagine it must be great to have your own writing officially published!
    I hope I can keep blogging next year too!

Enjoy the band – I’ll look forward to reading about it!