Free time, Island Experience, The city, Travels

The Island Experience: Hayling Railway Pillars

Christmas and the New Year provide a good opportunity to catch up with friends.

Yesterday I got together with a few such friends. I’ve known Sam and Tom since school, which already seems like a lifetime ago! We arranged to meet up in the afternoon for a cycle to Hayling Island, which lies to the east of Portsea Island (the island on which the city of Portsmouth is built). We cycled across the modern road bridge which connects Hayling Island to the mainland and decided to take in the sights by the old railway pillars. These are large blocks of wood which stick out from the sea, alongside the modern bridge. These are the remnants of a railway line which once took passengers to the tip of Hayling Island. You can still walk or cycle down the old route, which is known as the Hayling Billy Trail.

After some very civilised sightseeing from this vantage point, we took a slow route back. It had been a really nice sunny day, and the sunset on the horizon was a fantastic sight. We had all come well prepared with lights, as by 4pm it was already dusk – it’s easy to get caught out at this time of year in the dark.

I enjoy nothing better than a cycle with some great friends, and great scenery! Next time I’ll have to remember to take a camera and post some pics. Hayling has a good, although stony beach, so you might like to try it out during the summer. Here’s a pdf outlining the route all the way down to the seafront:

http://www.hants.gov.uk/rh/cycling/hayling-billy.pdf

And here’s a quick map I created on site called RouteBuilder.org:

http://routebuilder.org/6jt

I started the route at the bottom of the Eastern Road in Portsmouth for easy reference and stopped at the point of the old railway pillars, where we stopped. The majority of the route is offroad.

2 thoughts on “The Island Experience: Hayling Railway Pillars

1. Ilin says:

Caught up in the deadlines for coursework, finally, I have the opportunity to check out your posts 🙂 It seems like you had an interesting trip. I wonder whether Portsmouth will be sunny in the summer, as it is quite grim nowadays…

• Blake says:

Yeah, it was a few hours well spent – I really enjoy cycling anyway, but it’s great to have company and take in the scenery.
      Let’s hope it’ll be a nice summer this year, it’s always fun to go down to Southsea on a warm summers day!