Free time, Travels

Karaoke, caravans & deep-fried butter balls.

For those of you who don’t know, although I go to university in Portsmouth and live in Oxford when I’m at home, my whole family is actually from Scotland. I was born there too although I lost my accent a long time ago!

Unfortunately, I normally only get to see my family twice a year and, because the festive period is so busy, my immediately family and I had to squeeze a Christmastime visit into two days. Cue eight hours travelling up the M6, squeezed into a modest Renault, stopping only for a horrible service station lunch of some description (and the same on the way back).

It’s all worth it though when we finally get to see our family. I’ve always got on so well with my aunties, uncles, cousins and grandparents and it really does make you appreciate the people you have in your life. I’ve always envied those whose grandparents live down the road!

I suppose I should explain the title of this post:

1. There was karaoke. A lot of it. For some reason my Mum and her sister love singing but I’m pretty sure there’s no chance they’ll be on The X Factor any time soon! Funnily enough it turns out I was the best out of the lot of us (something I’m sure my housemates who have heard me singing in the shower would be disagree with).

2. One of the best things that happened to me the whole trip was talking to my Grandad about the caravan him and my Gran used to own. We went there with them on holiday once  and randomly one evening he started talking to me about the trip, which happened over a decade ago. It really meant a lot to me as my Grandad has very quickly gone from being a very loud, outspoken man to a quiet, subdued one in the past year or so, and it’s lovely to hear him recall a memory that he’s particularly fond of, from so long ago.

3. Deep-fried butter balls. WHO WOULD INVENT SUCH A THING?! Well, my Uncle informed me that somebody, in keeping with the Scottish tradition of deep-frying, well, anything, has “invented” this delicacy. As you’ve probably guessed, it consists of butter, soaked in Irn-Bru and deep-fried in an Irn-Bru batter. Now I love Irn-Bru (I think it’s in my genes…) but this is just disgusting!

Anyway, it was a brilliant trip and, although it was a bit emotional saying goodbye, I’m so happy we got to go.